With 4 Colors Of Peppers
Updated © 2012
Vegan – 9 Carb Choices
You'll have fun with this one. Just shopping for the four colors of bell peppers is a kick. Pick the shiny, fresh ones. It's
Makes 2 cups or 32 tablespoons
Sodium Per Recipe: 30.1 mg
Sodium Per tablespoon: .626 mg
Protein: .141 g
Carbohydrate: .682 g
Dietary Fiber: .165 g
Total Sugars: .224 g
Total Fat: .337 g
Saturated Fat: .052 g
Monounsaturated Fat: .15 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .107 g
Cholesterol: .118 mg
Trans Fatty Acids: 0 g
Total Omega-3 FA: .002 g
Total Omega-6 FA: 0 g
Calcium: 1.796 mg
Potassium: 23.9 mg
Sodium: .626 mg
Vitamin K: 1.303 mcg
(Makes a great unsalted chip dip).
- 1/2 medium red onion (2.2 mg)
- 1/2 medium or large red bell pepper (2.38 mg)
- 1/2 medium or large yellow bell pepper (1.86 mg)
- 1/2 medium or large green bell pepper (1.785 mg)
- 1/2 medium or large orange bell pepper (1.86 mg)
- 1 clove raw garlic, minced or diced (.51 mg)
- 2 tablespoons green onions (.48 mg)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) (.27 mg)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (trace)10.8 mg)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into quarter1.192 mg)
- pepper to taste (trace)
Wash bell peppers, cut in half and clean seeds out of one half.
Store the other halves in a zipper lock type bag in your refrigerator for
use in salads or other recipes. Slice lengthwise into 1/2" strips.
Cut the red onion into 4 pieces. Dice or mince the garlic clove.
You'll want to pull the skin off the peppers. There are a few
ways of doing this. During the summer I like to grill the sliced
peppers skin side down on a hot grill until they turn a bit black.
Then just rub off the skins. I also like to simply put the sliced
pieces into my steamer and steam them for about 15 minutes. Using
a sharp thumbnail the skins will peel right off (except for the green peppers
which tend to resist skinning).
After skinning, place the onion, peppers, garlic and tomato into your
food processor and process until smooth.
Put the olive oil into a medium size pan with the Herbox Low Sodium
broth mixture and then pour the processed vegetables into the pan and bring
to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes and cool. Use as topping
for omelets, chicken, salads, unsalted chips and whatever you enjoy using