Low Sodium Pizza|
Updated 2015 — © Copyright 1965-2015
The sodium level in a standard size pizza with mozzarella or cheddar cheese can exceed 4,000 mg per slice.
This recipe comes in much lower. You can add more vegetables or different low sodium cheese. You can use turkey burger, chicken burger or very lean ground beef. Add about 18 mg of sodium per ounce for any ground meat you use.
Makes 1 extra large pizza for 10 slices
Without Meat / with crust
Sodium/Recipe: 268.4 mg
Sodium/Serving: 26.8 mg
Per slice without meat
Includes Pizza Crust
Protein: 6.265 g
Carbohydrate: 24.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.629 g
Total Sugars: 2.702 g
Total Fat: 6.516 g
Saturated Fat: 2.325 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.559 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .448 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Calcium: 17.1 mg
Iron: 2.042 mg
Potassium: 331.7 mg
Sodium: 24.9 mg
Vitamin K: 2.712 mcg
Folate: 61.1 mcg
Dough-Only Nutritional Information
Sodium Per Recipe: 9.972 mg
Sodium Per Slice, based on 10 slices: .979 mg
Protein: 3.423 g
Carbohydrate: 22.2 g
Dietary Fiber: .885 g
Total Sugars: .416 g
Total Fat: 5.709 g
Saturated Fat: .776 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 4.02 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .57 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Calcium: 4.607 mg
Iron: 1.425 mg
Potassium: 42.1 mg
Sodium: .979 mg
Vitamin K: 2.646 mcg
Folate: 57.4 mcg
- 1 Pizza Dough, Thin Crust (see recipe below) (9.794 mg)
- 1 large white onion, minced (4.5 mg)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1.53 mg)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (trace)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can S&W (or other) No Salt Added, peeled or stewed tomatoes, with liquid (105 mg)
- 1 cup (8 ounce can) Del Monte natural No Salt Added tomato sauce (80 mg)
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced (9.69 mg)
- 4 - 6 ounces Low Sodium Swiss or low sodium Cheddar cheese, grated (15 to 40 mg)**
- 1/2 to 1 cup no sodium water*** (trace)
- 8 large mushrooms, thinly sliced (7.36)
- 1/4 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced (.5 mg)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (3.45 mg)
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) fresh basil, finely chopped (trace) or 1 teaspoon dry
- basil (trace)
- 1 pinch of pepper (trace)
- 4 - 6 ounces (cup grated) low sodium Swiss or low sodium Cheddar (46 mg)
- Juice of 1 small lime or lemon (trace)
- Note: Feel free to add more veggies to your pizza. Add other flavors too, like basil or cilantro, oregano, etc.
Using a large saute pan, set over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the tomatoes with the liquid.
Add the tomato sauce, basil, and pepper and simmer for one-hour uncovered, stirring occasionally. Makes about 2 cups of sauce
when finished (if needed, sauce can be made and stored in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight bag).
Bread Machine Preparation - Oven Baked
Makes 1 extra large pizza crust or two medium
Mix in Bread Machine
Mix using basic dough setting. When done, remove and roll dough out on lightly-floured board to the size of large pizza pan or two medium sized pans. Place dough on pan and cover with light cloth. Place in warm area for 20 to 30 minutes in a warm place.
- 2 1/4 cups white, unbleached all-purpose flour (5.625 mg)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (trace)
- 3/4 cup low sodium or no sodium water (trace)
- 1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar (.15 mg)
- 2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten (1.125 mg)
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar (.042 mg)
- 1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid (trace)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast (3 mg)
When dough has slightly risen, spread out a bit more and either roll the edges or flute them, whichever is preferred. Prick the surface slightly with a fork. Dough is ready to bake with sauce.
Pre heat oven to 500°F. Spread sauce on rolled pizza dough. Spread sliced zucchini, mushrooms and red pepper over sauce, spread grated cheese of choice, and top with thinly sliced onion. Lay the sliced onions on top. If desired, add about 8 ounces unsalted stir-fried lean ground beef or turkey (adds 18.7 mg sodium per ounce).
Bake at 500° F for 9 to 13 minutes. When fluted edges turn
golden brown, pizza should be done.
You can freeze slices of this pizza successfully. Use a microwave to defrost
and reheat. Spritz pizza slices with lime juice and serve piping hot.
**Nutrient data figured on 10 mg per ounce.
***1-cup of water for a full hour of simmering. If you want to take a shortcut because of time, you can add only 1/2 cup for a 45 minute simmer or leave it out if you want to simmer for only 30 to 45 minutes.