True Chili Con Carne
Flexitarian — 1 Carb Choices
"Chili With Meat
Updated 2013 ©
This recipe was created by Maureen just for my no-salt lifestyle. It’s
delicious and you can make it hotter (with more pepper), or "cooler"
Makes 12 cups
Sodium Per Recipe: 391.4 mg
Sodium Per Serving: 32.6 mg
Nutrient Data Per Serving:
Protein: 8.659 g
Carbohydrate: 12.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.759 g
Total Sugars: 1.646 g
Total Fat: 2.26 g
Saturated Fat: .602 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.313 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .223 g
Cholesterol: 11.7 mg
Trans Fatty Acids: .064 g
Total Omega-3 FA: .035 g
Total Omega-6 FA: .002 g
Potassium: 378.8 mg
Sodium: 32.6 mg
Vitamin K: 3.152 mcg
- 1/2 pound 5% lean ground beef (149.7 mg)
- 3 cups Eden Organic No Salt red kidney beans¹, drained save 1/2 cup liquid from cans (90 mg)
- 1 large onion, diced (3.3mg)
- 1 hot red pepper, seeded, finely diced (2.38mg)
- 4 oz mushrooms, diced (3.68mg)
- 1/2 cup bean juice from the cans ² (sodium accounted for)
- 1 14-ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes (105 mg)³
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (trace)
- 1 teaspoon Williams Chili Seasoning Mix or other unsalted chili powder (or more to taste) (28.9 mg)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (.45 mg)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (8.82 mg)
- white or black pepper to taste (.044)
Sautè meat in nonstick pan, bringing to nearly done. Add in and
continue to sautè diced onions, pepper and mushrooms in light olive oil.
In a large pot, add in tomatoes, sautéed veggies, 1/2 cup bean juice,
spices, the beans and bring to light boil. Simmer for 1/2 hour uncovered, stirring occasionaolly. Serve
hot. Can be frozen or refrigerated and reheated.
¹ You may use more if you want to. Add 4 mg per cup. May also use a raw beans, soak overnight and boil per package
² Save bean water after boiling. You can add more if you like a more
liquid chili con carne, or use more if you add more beans.
³ Varies from supplier to supplier. As low as 70 mg as high as 150mg.
Check nutrition label before buying.