Chewy Apricot Bars
Lacto Vegetarian – 1 Carb Choices
Updated: © 2012
We adapted this recipe from one on the back of the Quick 1-minute Quaker Oatmeal container. With salt extracted, we kicked up the flavor using ginger and you might like to add 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves if you like cloves. You can exchange the raisins with any dried fruit or with chopped dates.
Two tablespoons of oil could be added to "soften" them up, but aren't worth the added fat and calories. Note: click image to view bar with chocolate cover coating.
Sodium Per Recipe: 374.3 mg
Sodium Per Bar: 7.638 mg
Protein: 1.62 g
Carbohydrate: 15.8 g
Dietary Fiber: .928 g
Total Sugars: 6.282 g
Total Fat: .891 g
Saturated Fat: .15 g
Monounsaturated Fat: .202 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .435 g
Cholesterol: .262 mg
Calcium: 23.4 mg
Iron: 1.636 mg
Potassium: 64.6 mg
Sodium: 7.651 mg
Vitamin K: 0 mcg
Folate: 7.415 mcg
Makes 49 bars
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar (64.3 mg)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (1 mg)
- 1 8-ounce vanilla yogurt (161.7 mg)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten (109.6 mg)
- ½ apple, finely chopped (trace)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk (15.9 mg)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (.756 mg)
- 1 1/2 cups white, unbleached flour (3.75 mg)
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G Baking soda (trace)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (1.768 mg)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (.288 mg)
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger* (trace)
- ¼ cup finely chopped unsalted walnuts (.6 mg)
- 3 cups oatmeal (trace)
- ½ cup diced dried apricots*** (6.5 mg)
- ½ cup golden raisins (8.7 mg)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In large bowl combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, chopped apple, nonfat milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth well with beaters. Apple bits will not become smooth.
In another smaller bowl, combine flour, Ener-G baking soda, cinnamon, walnuts, raisins, apricots, and ginger. Mix Well.
Very lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan**. Spread batter evenly over bottom.
Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until golden brown. Cool, slice into 49 pieces (7 cuts in each direction). This will make 49 1" x 2" snacks.
*Or Baker's Crystallized Ginger
**Or two 9" pie pans
***I used Mariani's Apricots (soft) from Costco Stores for this recipe.
Note: Want to have some fun with this recipe? Then spread 1/2 to a full cup of Nestle Semi-Sweet chocolate chips evenly over the top of the batter before
baking. At end of baking time, use a flat spatula/pancake turner and smooth them out. Chill in refrigerator overnight. Take out next morning, let stand for two hours
then cut into 1" x 2" pieces. Oh boy, they are good!