Easy Beef and Barley Mushroom Soup
1 Carb Choices
For those special parties, family get-togethers and other events including your own snacks.
Serves 8 – 10
Sodium Per Recipe: 682.9 mg
Sodium Per Serving: 85.4 mg
Protein: 3.095 g
Carbohydrate: 20.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.956 g
Total Fat: 2.07 g
Saturated Fat: .318 g
Monounsaturated Fat: .876 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .726 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Trans Fatty Acids: 0 g
Total Omega-3 FA: .019 g
Total Omega-6 FA: 0 g
Potassium: 304.2 mg
Sodium: 85.4 mg
Vitamin K: 5.778 mcg
- 1 medium to large onion, diced (4.4 mg)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thinly (84.2 mg)
- 2 medium stalks of celery, chopped (64 mg)
- 10 ounces Crimini mushrooms, chopped or sliced (16.8 mg)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (trace)
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat or chuck cut into small bite size pieces (200.73 mg)
- ¾ cup pearled barley, cooked according to package directions (13.5 mg)
- 1 32 ounce (1-quart) package of Progresso unsalted chicken broth (500 mg)
- 1 cup filtered water (trace)
- Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute to taste (trace)
Prepare the barley according to package directions.
Prepare the first 3 vegetables and saute in the olive oil using a 3 to 4 qt. pan. Cook until the vegetables soften for about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until their juices flow. Remove the vegetables to a bowl.
Place meat in the same pan and brown on all sides. You may season with no salt seasonings and pepper at this time. When thoroughly cooked about 6 to 8 minutes add the vegetables back into the pan.
Add the no salt chicken broth and the cooked barley.
Simmer for another 30 minutes and enjoy.