Apple Pie Supreme
With Whole Wheat Pastry Crust
Vegan¹ – 2 1/
2 Carb Choices²
One of my favorites, I make this every Christmas for the family and guests. You can zip up the flavors with any of the spices or
more lemon zest if you like.
Makes 1 9" Apple Pie – 10 Slices
Sodium Per Recipe: 275.7 mg
Sodium Per Slice (10): 27.57
Nutrient Value Based on 24 cup cakes:
Protein: 2.326 g
Carbohydrate: 39 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.147 g
Total Sugars: 20.1 g
Total Fat: 14.1 g
Saturated Fat: 8.856 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 3.609 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .581 g
Cholesterol: 37.6 mg
Trans Fatty Acids: 0 g
Total Omega-3 FA: .123 g
Total Omega-6 FA: .369 g
Calcium: 93.7 mg
Potassium: 253.1 mg
Sodium: 27.6 mg
Vitamin K: 3.71 mcg
¹ Lacto vegetarian as is. Replace butter with trans fat free shortening and tablespoon of nonfat milk with water to convert to Vegan.
- 1 9" uncooked 2- crust whole wheat pastry pie shells (30.9 mg)
- 8 ripe medium to large apples, unpeeled2 (trace)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (trace)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (.36 mg)
- 1/2 unpacked cup brown sugar (28.3 mg)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (1 mg)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (trace)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (1.25 mg)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (trace)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed wth 1/4 cup water (.7mg)
For the crust
- Dash cinnamon (trace)
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar (trace)
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk (7.8mg)
Prepare pie crust. Chill in refrgerator for at least 1/2 hour before rolling out. While chilling prepare ingredients.
Preheat oven to 450° F (If using a convection oven, prepare oven to 425° F).
Core and thinly slice apples, leaving peel. Toss with lemon juice, and grated peel. Mix in sugar, mixed cornstarch, and spices. Toss with apples to coat.
Roll half of dough into a round and fit into a 9" lightly greased and flour dusted pie pan. Fill shell with apple mixture. Scribe pie shell three times at bottom with sharp knife.
Roll remaining dough into a round large enough to cover top of apples. Roll up on roller, then unroll over pie filling carefully. Crimp edges of crusts together. Trim off excess.
Make slits in top crust to vent. Mix teaspoon of sugar with a dash of cinnamon. Brush crust with the milk and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 450° F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake an additional 20-30 minutes. Before baking and to prevent black or burned edge crust, cut out 1" inch strips of aluminum foil, link together and lightly grease. Wrap this longer strip around the pie for the first 20 minutes. Remove last 20 minutes and continue to cook.
WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY PIE CRUST
Sodium Per Recipe: 30.9 mg
Sodium Per Slice (8): 3.858 mg
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (12 mg)
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter or trans-fat free Crisco (18.7 mg)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice (.15 mg)
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold filtered, no sodium water (may use bottled water)(trace)
Hand knead butter into flour. Add water as needed, adding the lemon juice first. Knead until crumbly, wrap in wax paper, chill for at least a 1/2 hour. Roll out on lightly whole wheat pastry floured bread board.
² Replace sugar with SplendaŽ Granulated and Carb Choices drop to: 2.5