Chicken & White Bean Stew
1 Carb Choices
Excellent Flavor - Easy to make
This is an easy recipe to make and a terrific winter evening stew. We also enjoy it once in a while when the local temperature is warm. Make in either large skillet or medium size pan.
Sodium Per Recipe: 505.5 mg |
Sodium Per Serving: 84.3 mg
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (211.6 mg)
- 1½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (trace)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (4.4 mg)
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced* (4.05 mg)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1.53 mg)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans no-salt-added peeled tomatoes (57 mg)
- 2/3 cup Swanson Unsalted Chicken Broth (86.6 mg)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (.27 mg)
- 1 large fresh oregano sprig, chopped (trace)
- 1 (14½ ounce) can white, cannellini or navy beans, drained and rinsed (140 mg)
- white or black pepper to taste (trace)
Using a fine screen strainer, drain the liquid from the tomatoes into a small bowl. Mash the tomatoes until thick, but not paste. We're looking for a thick tomato sauce. Set this and the drained liquid aside.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large stainless steel (All-Clad or other) or nonstick skillet or in a medium stainless steel panover medium-high heat until hot. We don't want it smoking. Sauté the chicken in the oil until brown. Remove chicken from the pan and set chicken aside.
Add a dash more of oil to the pan and sauté the onions and peppers for about three to five minutes or until soft but not browned or overcooked. Stir constantly so that they cook evenly and don't burn. Add the minced garlic, stir for another thirty seconds. Lower the heat to simmer.
Cut each chicken thigh into four individual pieces and add the chicken back into the pan along with the mashed tomatoes, Swanson broth, and oregano Simmer 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. If the pan becomes too dry, add a little of the reserved tomato liquid. Do so sparingly. Add Garbanzo or Cannelloni beans to the pan, and simmer another 5 minutes until hot.
*You can make this two if you like red peppers. It ups the flavor of the stew. Just add under 1 mg of sodium per serving if you do. You can also use red pepper flakes instead of the red peppers. We often add one or two more cloves of garlic as well.
Nutrient Data Per Bun (18):,
Protein: 13.1 g,
Carbohydrate: 17.2 gg,
Dietary Fiber: 4.239 gg,
Total Sugars: 3.685 gg,
Total Fat: 3.409 gg,
Saturated Fat: .606 gg,
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.059 gg,
Polyunsaturated Fat: .845 gg,
Cholesterol: 34 mgg,
Trans Fatty Acids: .043 gg,
Total Omega-3 FA: .062 gg,
Total Omega-6 FA: 0 gg,
Potassium: 421.8 mgg,
Sodium: 84.3 mgg,
Vitamin K: 6.276 mcg